Access Statement for Green Barn Cottages, Ravenstonedale
Green Barn Cottages is a conversion of a large stone-built barn into three self-contained self-catering cottages, The Byre, The Carthouse and The Haystore. It stands within the private grounds of The Green, a Victorian farmhouse occupied by the owners, in open countryside approximately a mile from the village of Ravenstonedale. A single track road leads from Ravenstonedale, and from this there is a track approx 400 yards in length leading down to the entrance of The Green. Access is restricted for vehicles much larger than typical delivery vans. Vehicle entrance is over a cattle grid, with an adjacent pedestrian gate providing access 1m wide. From there a level gravelled driveway leads to the barn.
- We have a website with photos and full details of the cottages, and links to local amenities.
- Enquiries and bookings are welcome by email, phone or letter.
- Booking confirmation is by completed booking form, online or returned by post. The Booking Form and Terms and Conditions can be supplied in a large font if required.
- Guests will receive directions, along with information on local facilities, shops and services. These can be supplied in a large font if required.
- Nearest shop is in the village of Ravenstonedale, approximately one mile by car or foot.
- Nearest town is Kirkby Stephen, shops approximately six miles away.
- The nearest railway station is at Kirkby Stephen, 5 miles away. The nearest mainline (West Coast) railway station is at Oxenholme, The Lake District, 22 miles away.
- There is a bus stop, with limited services, one mile away in Ravenstonedale.
- Taxis require booking; there is no taxi rank at Kirkby Stephen station or town centre. The local facilities information we send includes contact details for taxis.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Level car parking is available immediately adjacent to each cottage, with a minimum of two spaces at each cottage.
- Access to each cottage is by a pushbutton codelock with a lever handle. Guests are notified of their code in advance, and may select their own for ease of remembering. A key can be provided as an alternative for guests who would have difficulties operating the buttons on the codelock.
- The owners, or their representative, are normally on site to welcome guests and assist with any enquiries.
- Information packs are provided with details of local services and user information for the equipment within the cottage.
Main Entrance, Reception & Ticketing Area
- Not Applicable
Public Areas – Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
- Not Applicable
- Each cottage has its own outside area with table and chairs. Additionally, there are communal areas within the grounds for the use of all guests.
- There is a semi-wild grassed area at the highest point of the grounds, with picnic table. It provides the best views, but access is quite steep.
- On the same level as the gravelled area in front of the barn, and accessible from it, is a level semi-wild grassed area which looks over a beck to adjacent fields, with views of the hills beyond. A picnic table and brick-built barbecue are provided.
- From this area, a gate leads to a short but steep path down to the edge of the beck, where a further picnic table is provided.
- The entrance to the grounds leads directly out onto common land.
- Feeding boxes are placed to encourage Red Squirrels to areas where they will be easily visible to guests.
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
- All bedrooms have six foot wide SuperKing Size beds. These can be split and arranged as two three foot wide singles if required.
- Bedding is provided; duvets are non-feather, there is a choice of feather and non-feather pillows, linen is cotton or polycotton.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
- Bathrooms are either en-suite or shared (please see individual cottage descriptions.) Slip resistant porcelain tile heated flooring.
- Fitted units with WC with low level pushbutton flush, washbasin inset into counter top, storage cupboard under.
- Whirlpool bath, P-shaped to increase showering area. Non slip mat provided.
- Thermostatically controlled mains-pressure shower over bath, hinged glass shower screens.
- Thermostatically controlled heated towel rail with adjustable maximum temperature.
- Humidity controlled extractor fans.
- Wetroom in The Carthouse (please see individual cottage descriptions) with shower, wc and washbasin suitable for wheelchair use.
- Fully equipped fitted kitchens in all cottages (please see individual cottage descriptions.)
Grounds and Gardens
- Individual areas assigned to each cottage, with outdoor tables and chairs.
- Individual statements for each cottage are provided later; the following is a brief summary:
- Within the constraints of the original access and architectural features of the barn we have endeavoured to provide for the needs of guests with limited mobility, although none of the cottages is suitable for guests who are unable to manage stairs. The Carthouse has the kitchen, lounge and a wetroom/wc all on the ground floor. The main sleeping accommodation in The Carthouse is, however, all accessed by stairs.
- All cottages have a no smoking policy; each cottage has an outdoor area for smoking.
- All cottages have remote control LCD colour TVs with teletext, and a CD/DVD player/recorder.
- All cottages have wireless internet access.
- There is no landline telephone within the cottages; Vodafone and Orange mobile services have coverage.
- All cottages have underfloor heating supplied by our ground source heat pumps, with thermostat controls in individual rooms. The Carthouse has one bedroom with no underfloor heating and a thermostatically controlled central heating radiator instead.
- All cottages have their own laundry equipment within the cottage.
- Each cottage has an outside water tap.
- The conversion has been carried out in line with the appropriate Building Regulations covering such items as suitability and safety of staircases, and the provision and accessibility of electrical power points and light switches.
- Each cottage has sensor operated and manually switchable external lighting by its entrance.
- Each cottage has emergency lighting, both internal and external, which automatically illuminates exit routes in the case of a power failure.
- Each cottage has a hard-wired system of heat and smoke detectors/alarms, and suitable fire extinguishers/blankets.
- External doors in all cottages can be opened from the inside without a key.
- Improvements to be driven by guests’ comments, requirements and suggestions.